Friday, October 25, 2013

UPDATE: Typhoid Vaccine & Dairy/Casein Allergy

Apparently, my travel clinic didn't look closely enough at contraindications for the oral typhoid vaccine. I am allergic to dairy and casein. Casein is used to make the vaccine and an allergy to it is a contraindication. I learned all of this after the symptoms grew progressively worse - severe stomach cramps, upset stomach, nausea, fever, worsening asthma symptoms, etc. I consumed an allergen into my system in a capsule that ensures it made through my stomach and directly into my intestines to be absorbed.  People who are lactose intolerant are also more prone to issues with the oral vaccine, which only causes ~6% of people (per manufacturer) or ~25% of people (per my clinic) to have side effects. So, if you have any issues with dairy, you may want to stick with the typhoid injection vaccine, even with the shorter immunity period!

No comments:

Post a Comment