Friday, September 6, 2013

The Dominican Republic and Why I Buy Travel Insurance

So, most of the posts about the DR will be under my regular travel blog since the trip is largely for fun.  Between work travel, opening a travel credit card (hello 45,000 miles!) and using said card for every expense under the sun since opening it, I had enough miles for a trip to the Dominican Republic.  While I'm there, I will be visiting the only sponsored child I have in that country, so there will be a few mentions about the DR on this blog. :-)

Fortunately, I will not need any additional medications!

On the off chance I get sick IN another country, I always buy travel insurance.  While there are policies that cover just medical costs if you get sick (and potentially medical evacuation if you need or want to return home for treatment), I pay slightly more for a full coverage package.  Having flown enough to know that you can be delayed for weather (major problem in the winter), computer glitches, etc. I know that a single night, last-minute at a hotel near the airport can easily run $100, which is more than a full policy will cost.  Add in the benefit of the policy covering change or cancellation fees for illness or a death in the family and for me it just makes sense.  I've never spent more than $80 on a policy that could easily save me a $100 to tens of thousands for a serious overseas illness or injury.  I personally use the meta-site insuremytrip.com to compare policies for a given trip and to ensure I have the coverage I need.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff. I should look into travel insurance, as it sounds fairly affordable. In all my extensive years of traveling, I've never purchased insurance. I've been lucky, I guess, because the two times I was seriously ill and the one time I was injured, all happened when I was working with my grandmother as a missionary. When you actually LIVE inside a hospital, your medical care is free.

    ReplyDelete