Friday, September 6, 2013

Holy Hepatitis A Shot!

So, this post is a bit dated because I had my Hepatitis A shot awhile ago, but let's just say that it was a memorable event.  The first thing that registered was how freakishly LARGE the thing was.  It looked like something you'd inject into a horse, not a human!  After double-checking that they were sure this was the right injection, they gave it to me.

As it turns out, having THAT MUCH pumped into your arm doesn't feel so hot.  Not surprisingly, pain at the injection site is extremely common with this shot.  Many people also get headaches and I was one of the "lucky" ones there to experience that as well.  Nothing long lasting though and I felt better by the next day.

Despite the CDC warnings, I admit that I debated how many of these vaccines I really needed.  When I read that if I did get Hepatitis A, I could be sick enough to miss a month of work . . . well, a shot didn't seem like that big of a deal!

Since I had the HepA shot at my regular doctor, I am still slated to go in for Typhoid and Malaria prescriptions.  The malaria isn't for Guatemala though.  I'll be in a malarial area for such a short time that taking pills 2 days before and 7 days after for ONE day doesn't seem worth it.  The malaria pills are actually for the Dominican Republic!  I will be in a malaria zone for 3 days on that trip, which I've decided is too long.  All three are such nasty illnesses that protecting myself seems like a high priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment