Monday, February 16, 2015

2015 Guatemala Trip Day Three - Visiting Jose & Cesar . . . and the Best Valentine's Day Gifts Ever!

First off, I have to say that I kind of hated my hotel through the second day because the bed was like a brick.  I made a "bed" of pillows on top of the bed and then it was MUCH better.  Housekeeping noticed this and kindly brought a thick blanket and mattress topper though and life was good after that!

Patulul is about a two hour drive away from Guatemala City heading down the mountains toward the Pacific Coast.  It is also about 20 degrees hotter at all times.  As you come down the mountain, you start to feel the heat and it was a balmy 92 degrees today.  Fortunately, it has been warmer at home (in the 60s instead of the 20s my last trip), so I got a little shiny, but I didn't turn BRIGHT red.  I don't really own any long, light-weight dresses, so I borrowed one . . . aka the most unflattering dress in the world.  It was too big and had POCKETS, so it puffed out at the hips (ugh) - not really what I'm going for when I know a hundred pictures are going to be taken of me!

When we reached the community center, the family had decorated like last time, but this time the boys had picked out Valentine's Day gifts for me!  Cesar had picked the two bears and Jose picked out the duck.  Best. Valentine's. Ever.  Jose also made sure to tell me that he remembered when I visited before when he was "little" (aka 19 months ago) since he's almost 14 now. ;-)

We were then off and on our way to ice cream.  The father proudly told me that the dairy came from local cows - local as in right next door!

The kids had wanted chocolate, but sadly that wasn't a flavor available that day, so they went with strawberry and lime.  Below: Jose, Evelyn and Cesar waiting patiently.

The family enjoying ice cream, incuding little Selvin, mom Blanca and dad Jose.  I really appreciate it that Jose takes the day off work for the visit because it is rare for the father to join during sponsor visits!  I also don't sponsor Evelyn (she has another sponsor) or Selvin, but Selvin is young enough he would need to come and I'm not leaving just Evelyn out!

When bigger brother graduates, my plan is to add Selvin (assuming somebody doesn't snatch him up first) because who could resist this little face?  The staff told me that his mom told Selvin that I'd come from the United States to take him home with me and he was like, "oh ok."  I told him no because he'd miss his parents and siblings!

We soon left to head to the restaurant we were having lunch at, which also has a play area for kids, called Cabana Don Manuel.  On the way to lunch, we had a near miss of some sort (I didn't see the cause) and the van had to stop rapidly.  The two boys I sponsor had copied me in buckling their seat belts, which was good since we were in the front row.  It isn't common to wear seat belts here, even the staff and drivers, so little Selvin hit his face against the seat in front of him and Evelyn flew forward three rows into the staff person sitting there to translate.  All of the kids were ok, but Evelyn buckled in after that.  It also turns out two of the kids may have issues with dairy as both Cesar and Selvin got sick!  Fortunately, I come from a long-line of well-prepared people, so I travel with wet wipes and plastic bags . . . and I had a new shirt for Cesar so he could change.  After that, things were much less eventful!

This trip felt much less awkward and I noticed the kids and parents were also less nervous, although I think my Spanish has gotten 10x worse!  Since I plan to return and travel to other Spanish-speaking countries, I've decided to become fluent . . . wish me luck!

Prices at Cabana Don Manuel were very reasonable and it was under $10 for a 4 oz steak dinner with lots of sides and a drink!  We started with soup and the kids went over to the new play area (new as in wasn't here in 2013).  The other thing I noticed was how well the kids played together.  Here are Cesar and Evelyn playing together.



Jose decided he was too big for the playground, but he helped his brothers on the slide.  The kids also played with Selvin in the little plastic kid house.  Blanca was really happy watching them because they don't have a big area like this at home where they can run and play.

When dinner arrived, it looked wonderful (and tasted great)!  There was corn on the cob as well . . . but I ate it before I thought to take a picture!  Dinner also came with a new friend, Bella, the puppy.  The kids liked her until she started nipping at their pant legs.

After we all finished our dinner . . . well, actually unlike the hamburgers, Evelyn and Cesar couldn't finish so mom and dad got a little more, we returned to the home for me to give out gifts.  Little Selvin was surprised by his book!

Jose liked his "grown up" gifts of hygiene items and a soccer ball pump (soccer ball came later), but still liked his bubbles.  Shown in his school shoes that him and Cesar both showed off and thanked me for sending to them (pretty sure they're a holiday distribution gift).  On the clothes, I'd went one size up from the size their family records would have indicated and they were perfect!

I realized that their sister, Evelyn, was older than I was thinking, but she still liked the puzzles I brought her.  I was also happy to see that Blanca had been carrying one of the rags I gave her last time in her purse to wipe the boys' faces and the green towel hanging there was also a prior gift. :-)  The coconut with the straw was from the family to me . . . and the first time I've ever had coconut water straight from the coconut!  There was also a "bonus kid" again, although this time it was their other cousin, Nelson.  This time I had a "bonus kid" gift for him and his brother of small cars.  The kids still had their toys from last time too and obviously had taken good care of them.

We left shortly after and the staff kindly took me to the same road-side store as last year where soccer balls are roughly $10.  I bought one for both boys and for Edy & Juan.

I'm not a particularly religious person, but it was still moving when the father, Jose, came out to the car to thank me for everything I do for his kids and to tell me that he knows God will richly reward me for everything I do.

The families are so unbelievably generous and, given that I had jocotes for the first time last time and now the coconut, the kids aren't the only ones having new experiences!

I'd heard the police here can be corrupt, so I was a little nervous when we were pulled over for a random road stop on the way back to Guate City, but they apparently decided we weren't drug runners and the white lady was in the van voluntarily, so we were on our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment