Friday, February 13, 2015

2015 Guatemala Trip - Getting Ready to Leave!

Well, I'm mostly packed!  After my trip was scheduled, I started slowly accumulating gifts for the kids and families that I would visit and I printed photo books from my last trip for each family.  For other preparations, no vaccinations were needed this time since I covered that last trip, but my doctor did prescribe new antibiotics in case I get sick in Guatemala.  I'm bringing my good camera (a Canon Rebel) this time because I felt comfortable with that after my first trip - we'll see if it attracts bad attention!

As far as what I'm bringing for myself, I largely wore loose long pants the first time I went to Guatemala, but women there largely wear dresses or skirts.  I'm a big fan of when in Rome, dress like the Romans (to paraphrase) because I believe it is both respectful of the culture and it also helps you avoid standing out.  I already stand out enough by being both tall (my fully grown 19 year olds there are 5'6" and 5'0" respectively - I'm 5'8") and pale skinned.

For currency exchange, I didn't use Wells Fargo this trip.  Although people do choose to exchange solely in country or to withdraw cash from ATMs, I always like to have some local currency on hand when I first arrive.  I used foreignmoney.com and was very satisfied with their service.  They called me to confirm my date of departure since it was an uncommon currency that would take longer to order - what great customer service to ensure the money would arrive before I left!  The currency came with a good mix of small and larger bills as well, although honestly the small bills are the most useful in Guatemala.  It can be difficult to break larger bills.

The final preparation piece I have to mention is that I doubt I'll ever fly American Airlines again.  With every other airline, when I book through them and have a flight on a code share partner, I'm either given a record locator for that airline or when I check-in with my original airline, it forwards me to complete the check-in.  Both times I've flown AA in the last 3 years, they couldn't check me in with a code share partner.  So, I have a record locator with AA and received an e-mail to check-in with them . . . I tried and their site says I have to check-in with Alaska Airlines.  Yet, AA gives me no ticket number or record locator that I can use to check-in with Alaska.  I called them and was told I need to call Alaska Air to obtain that information.  I also contacted AA both times and had their system hang up on me before I was actually able to reach someone.

My upgraded seats were also changed to not upgraded seats when they changed my flight times.  I contacted customer service and am hoping to get that fixed.

So, if you're planning a vacation in the near future, you may want to reconsider flying with American Airlines or at least make sure they aren't putting you on any code share flights!

Despite difficulties checking in, it appears that the Fuego volcano quit erupting and that my trip will be starting tomorrow as anticipated!  Stay tuned for reviews of various museums in Guatemala City, details of sponsor child visits and maybe a couple of extra hotel and restaurant reviews for others who may be considering a visit to Guatemala City!

No comments:

Post a Comment