Thursday, November 14, 2013

"But they don't look like 'poor kids!'" And a few other side notes on Guatemala and sponsoring . . .

When it was first suggested that I combine a visit with all 3 kids in Guatemala City, I wasn't sure how it would go, so I was happy it went great!  I hadn't previously told my kids that I sponsored other kids.  I actually still haven't mentioned ALL the kids I sponsor because I want each of the kids to feel special to me . . . and I'm not sure how to bring up, "so, there are actually NINE of you in total" because I really try not to emphasize the perception of "rich American" since I'm far from rich for the US.  Sending $28/month to sponsor a child really isn't a financial hardship for me, but there's no good way to explain that to kids where the family income is $131-326 USD per month.

While I'd assumed, probably like most Americans, that the money went further in Guatemala with the cost of living, I was surprised by how expensive many things actually were.  A full outfit (shirt, sweater, pants & shoes) cost between $50-$100 per child - it cost me ~$300 to buy outfits for 4 kids.  Clothes were cheaper in Guate than the US, but an outfit for one kid could easily cost a full month's income for these families!  I admit I was stunned when I saw prices for simple things like cold medicine, bottled water (tap water isn't safe to drink) and even simple groceries at a local small market.  While most things were less expensive than at home, the cost difference wasn't nearly as big as I'd expected, which really highlighted for me how remarkable it is that the families do as much for their kids as they do.

As an interesting side note, one of my friends mentioned that my kids weren't dressed like "poor kids" with the implication that they perhaps weren't really in need of help.  Having seen the conditions most of my kids live in, I'd say the clothes are misleading.  The children treat sponsor visits like a special holiday and wear their best.  They also receive clothing from the program and I send "special needs gifts" to provide additional clothing, food and educational assistance for my kids, so I'm happy to see that they're taking good care of the clothing!  I also feel if my kids look like "poor kids" that will only increase the discrimination they already face coming from their neighborhoods, so I'm happy my kids take pride in a neat appearance.  I believe it will be easier for them to find jobs and be successful in the future if they look the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment