Sunday, November 10, 2013

Guatemala Trip Day One - Chichi Market and Lake Atitlan

I'm preparing for my second trip to Guatemala in 2015 and realized I never finished my first blog for a variety of reasons.  Fortunately, I kept a very good journal when I went!

My first full day was spent on a tour around Lake Atitlan and the Chichi market on a tour through Guatemalan Adventures.  The drive to the Chichi market was really interesting and the driver explained about the local transportation - you can take a tuk tuk (the small red vehicle) or a retired school bus, referred to as "chicken buses" because, well, you might be sharing it with a chicken or two.  Both modes of transportation are definitely for those more adventurous than me - the buses especially pass other vehicles at high rates of speed around blind corners . . . just riding on the roads was quite an adventure since the buses could be coming AT you as well.



Despite the chicken buses, I survived the trip to Lake Atitlan and found the views beautiful.  Looking at it from the view below, I was really enthusiastic about swimming; however, our guide told us that the lake is very polluted and raw sewage is dumped into it.  I was slightly less enthusiastic then, although it was a very hot day . . . 


The Chichi market was unlike anything I had seen or experienced, even in Mexico markets.  There were constantly people, mostly children, who followed us trying to sell us things even after we said, "no gracias" and our guide tried to chase them off.  It was challenging not to buy things from ALL the kids though as most of them were wearing old shoes that were falling apart or no shoes at all with sores on their feet, but they had beautiful Mayan traditional clothing on often (although clearly not new).  Many of the children also appeared not to be in good health.

While wandering through the market, we came across people practicing for a show, which was a lot of fun to watch.  Everything at the Chichi market is so colorful!  Even though the relentless sales attempts and children in poverty were hard to see, the market really can't be missed.  Every craft, food, flower, etc. that you could want to buy from Guatemala seems to be at this market.  Fair warning that every market you see after will not be terribly impressive though!



On our way back, a pair of enterprising young ladies bartered a quetzal out of me in exchange for their photo.  Our guide explained that traditionally each village had their own patterns and colors for the traditional Mayan clothing.  In the more rural areas, groups of women were often still dressed in the colors of their village and these girls were a lovely example of the beautiful clothing!  It was one of my favorite parts of the trip to see people still dressed in traditional outfits during their normal daily lives and I made the decision that when I branch out to sponsor in a new Guatemalan family next, I will be looking for a child who is wearing traditional clothing.



I felt very comfortable and safe on the tour . . . other than the near misses with traffic that are just part of the Guatemalan experience!  The agency does accomodate small groups (or singles), so the vehicle you're in could be a car, van, etc.; however, I felt like we stood out less that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment