Wednesday, November 13, 2013

2013 Guatemala Trip Day Four - First Teen Visit

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but Juan's family was even MORE affectionate.  When I arrived, the family had purchased a small gift of three handmade cloth napkins and had lovely sign that Juan had made for me.
IMG_20131113_154557.jpg
IMG_20131113_154558.jpg










We first went to enjoy our activity at Finca La Loma, which I would highly recommend for kids from Chimaltenango!  There is a little museum of antiques from the original owner of the farm (current owner's abuelita or grandmother) that everyone enjoyed seeing.  For all 6 of us to go in the museum and for Juan and I to ride both bikes and horses, along with parking, was about $25.  Having ridden only once before when I was 7, I made a rather undignified mount of the horse, which the kind CI people captured on film; however, I count it as a success that I managed not to fall off the other side!  Juan managed much more smoothly despite it being his first time and we were off for a fun ride!

We rode the bikes after until Juan got cold (in 72 degree weather with a puffy coat ).  We then headed to the mall to do a little shopping.  When Juan found out he could buy more than just one pair of roughly $10 jeans, he promptly told me that me visiting was the best gift of all and he was thankful for my kindness and asked if he could give me another hug.  This was NOT the traditional hug (half hug w/ kiss on cheek) - it was a full-on bear hug.  We left shortly after with a couple pairs of jeans, shirt, sweater, socks, small toys for the bonus kids (niece & nephew) and a pair of high quality dress shoes for Juan's job hunt and went into the food court, where I expected fried chicken, but instead Juan wanted pizza.  I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm allergic to dairy, so I ate two small slices and hoped for the best.  Normally, having butter on something and not realizing it will make me sick, but the patron saint of sponsors must have protected me because I was fine 

 After the pizza, we were off to visit Juan's home where nearly every member of his extended family had come also (they all live very close together).  Their home was the largest I saw while there, but the entire family lived in one "compound" that was gated closed.  Inside was a front area, a kitchen/dining room and then 3 bedrooms for a grandma, parents, Juan, his brother, sister and her family.  First, we saw their chicken and bunny pets.  I had been forewarned by Juan that I had a major fan in little Damaris (7 years old) who had been asking Juan repeatedly when I was coming.  So, after seeing the pets, I was properly prepared to offer her a doll and glow-in-the-dark bracelet (you can get 5 for $1 at Dollar Tree and ALL of the kids loved them).  I also had small toy cars and a bracelet for his nephew, Javier.
Juan's New Pet Rabbit
I was again surprised when the family offered me carrot cake and coffee.  The families are so generous despite having relatively little themselves.  After eating our delicious snack, cooked by sister Karen, it was time for a group photo.  Even though I met Osvin, Juan's older brother, he managed to vanish when photos started.  I was really happy I picked up some last minute toys for the kids because they refused to let go of them, which was really cute!

Photo with mom Ana, grandma, sister Karen, me, Juan and niece Damaris & Nephew Javiar.


Sadly, it was then time to leave . . . but not before Juan said his speech about how he never expected to see his sponsor or even receive letters (he had one prior long-time sponsor who never wrote) and he was so happy and blessed I came, ending with him saying he wished I never had to leave (so cute).  I say "speech" because sweet Ana (mom) was reminding him of what to say next when he paused occasionally -it was super cute.  Below - me with my "I am super embarrassed right now" face.  Note: adorable Javier photo bomb!  I'm hoping when Juan graduates in 2015 that I might be able to add little Javier to my sponsorship family & keep this lovely family part of my "family!"
Juan's "Speech"
Sadly, it was then time to go!  At the van, the family all gave me very enthusiastic hugs, which was a fantastic way to end the day. 



It's interesting that younger kids find it easier to get sponsored because it is easier in my experience to have a rich relationship with the teens, at least in Guatemala.  I've found it much easier to connect with my kids once they were at least old enough to write their own letters.  Of course, there are upsides to sponsoring kids from the earliest possible age too!  I'm hoping to keep a mix of ages and both genders going forward since there are unique things to enjoy with all of the groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment