Tuesday, November 12, 2013

2013 Guatemala Trip Day Three - First Child Visit

I'm not sure anything could have prepared me for my first child visit - I was easily as nervous as the family was!  We met at the center and the kids had made artwork for me, which was really touching.  I hadn't been quite sure what to expect, but both brothers I sponsor were there with BOTH their parents, which is uncommon as the fathers are often unable to get time away from work.



















It's kind of funny that the guidelines for sponsor visits mention letting the children initiate contact because the staff and parents both heavily urge the kids to hug you, while I tried to indicate I was fine with them waiting until they were comfortable.  It didn't occur to me until seeing the parents appear nervous about their children's behavior that there could be some fear that the sponsor would come and not connect with the kids or be disappointed, thereby impacting the sponsorship.  Of course, Children International does not remove kids who lose a sponsor, but it simply hadn't occurred to me before to consider that the parents would be nervous about what kind of impression they'd make on the sponsor . . . I'd been more worried about whether the kids would like me or if I'd be like that strange distant relative who comes to visit that your parents force you to hug and will never stop pinching your cheek (disclaimer: I pinched no cheeks).

Of course, there were cultural differences as I had no idea men commonly greeted women with a one-armed hug and a kiss on the cheek . . . so my two-armed hug surprised the father and the kiss surprised me.  The parents had a young child who was with them, but the sister had stayed home.  Here's the original group photo with Jose having moved as closely to me as possible at the urging of the adults :-)

I'm glad I am going back to visit this family again as they were on the short-end of the stick a bit with it being my first visit and not really having anyway to truly prepare for such an experience.  I'm also a bit of an introvert, so being the center of everyone's attention, from kids and parents staring in the center to the whole family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) showing up to see me, it was a little overwhelming the first day.

After leaving the center, our day was supposed to start at a place with animals that offered horse rides . . . unfortunately, the horses were having some issues with being temperamental, so that idea was off the table.  The kids LOVED seeing the animals and having their picture taken by this horse, who kept sniffing them.

While I was really glad the kids were enjoying themselves and that the smallest brother, Selvin, kept saying, "Mira Mama, Mira" (Look Mama, Look), the condition some of the animals were in was unlike anything I'd ever seen before in the States . . . especially not at a public facility.  It was absolutely heart-breaking and, combined with all of the dogs that run the streets fending for themselves and are frequently seen on the side of the road dead, it was a harsh reminder that protection of animals falls far down the list in a country where even 43% of children under 5 go without adequate nutrition.

When the horse rides didn't work out, it was still too early to eat lunch, so I suggested we visit the family home and pick up their sister before finding somewhere we could eat.  So, we ventured back to the family home.  I'd fortunately seen photos of some of children's homes, so I wasn't completely unprepared for the house that was smaller than my living room, but what I was unprepared for was the heat.  It was hotter already since we were out of the mountains, but the temperature inside the home was sweltering.  Fortunately, the family suggested we go out back onto a "patio" of sorts . . . but only after first showing me that they'd taken photos I sent and blew them up to 8'x10' pictures to hang on the wall where the 4 children slept . . . being an introvert, the "shrine" to me was a little disconcerting and something I hadn't at all been prepared for.  I'd heard the kids often kept pictures and letters from sponsors, but I really hope those photos were only up for my visit!

Out on the patio, I gave the family gifts that I had brought for them and learned one of the other cardinal rules of sponsor home visits - other family will show up!  While I'd expected the other siblings, I hadn't expected to meet a grandmother, aunt and two little cousins . . . I felt terrible that I had no extra small gifts that I could share with the cousins; however, that oversight led to one of the best stories of the day later.  Below is a picture with the whole family, including one cousin.  It was interesting to see that the children in the family (of which 3 are sponsored) were all dressed well & clean, whereas the cousins were in old, stained clothing and quite dirty.  Of course, the families do dress well for the visits, but the staff also told me that the program teaches the families about the importance of good hygiene for good health.  I admit that I badly wanted to sponsor the little cousin, but I was fully at my limit before the visit!

It was also interesting to see what the family had done with the retaining wall I helped have built (along with other sponsors).  The home had been in danger of sliding down the hillside, but now was secure with a small kitchen area on a patio off the back.  They were using an "open fire," but it was within a bricked area and had a chimney of sorts . . . not as bad as what I pictured by "open fire."

There were a lot of great pictures of the family, but I particularly love this one - proof that kids the world over are similar in some ways and what kid doesn't love bubbles?

I was glad that I went ahead and was vaccinated for HepA and typhoid because the family offered me jocotes and grapes.  While I didn't eat the grapes, the jocotes had a bit of a hard peel that could be pulled off; however, they were soft and juicy enough that I'm not entirely certain eating them was the safest thing I did while in Guatemala.  Jocotes are small, with a little fruit around a hard solid nut with a taste and texture that reminded me of mangoes.  Fortunately, I ate two of them with no complications later . . . in fact, the only thing I ate in Guatemala where I got ill shortly after was from McDonald's.

As for the best story of the day, when we were headed back from eating, I had the staff stop so I could buy a soccer ball for the kids.  When we returned to the home, the boys had the staff ask me if it was ok if they gave the soccer ball to their cousin so he'd feel included.  I, of course, didn't mind and was so touched by these children who have relatively little being so willing to share what they did have.  Family is viewed as so important in Guatemala, with extended family often living together or next door to each other.

After a long hot day in the lowlands of Guatemala, we returned back to the city.  While I did enjoy the B&B (Dai Nonni) I stayed in and especially liked it that I was in the private garden room out back, the fact that it was largely considered unsafe for me to walk around alone (or go anywhere alone at night) really limited what I could do in the evenings once I returned from tours or visits.  By the third day of my trip, being stuck with only TV and my tablet for entertainment and with no air conditioning, I was rethinking my choice not to stay in a larger hotel.  On the plus side though, I loved the included breakfast every morning with coffee, a roll, refried black beans and fried plantains.  There were other items available that I couldn't eat due to allergies (eggs & OJ) and by my third morning there, the staff didn't even have to ask what I wanted.  The small plate dinners were also inexpensive and the vegetarian tamales in particular were delicious - so delicious that I ate them virtually every night I was there!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting details about your trip. I love the photos on the wall and the family looks like everyone is benefitting from sponsorship. I'm sorry that you weren't able to go out much in the evenings. That is just the opposite from my experience in Cartagena! :)

    ReplyDelete